Friday, September 27, 2013

What's Your Groundhog Day?

So my mom was was pushing me to go watch a movie with her, to the point that she forced me to hold my bladder (because I really had to go to the loo that time) for the next 90 minutes, because she just couldn't wait. We just watched About Time yesterday, and it reminded her of another movie that was similar to About Time and so that's how we ended up watching this 20-year old film.

My mom's a movie buff, and whenever I'm in school I would just get a random text from her saying: "Please go check what time (insert movie here) shows at (insert a list of malls here). Thanks." We watch almost twice a week!

Okay, so speaking of the movie, we didn't watch in a cinema (I mean, the movie was ages ago!), but rather in her phone (phones these days!). The movie was the American comedy film Groundhog Day.

Starring Bill Murray & Andie MacDowell

Let me give you a brief overview. 

Groundhog Day centers about a weatherman named Phil who has an attitude problem. He and his crew members, Rita and Larry, were assigned to cover a story about a yearly celebration in a small town of Punxsutawney called Groundhog Day. This was Phil's fourth year of reporting, and he was obviously not enjoying it. Going back to the city, they met a harsh blizzard, and Phil and his crew were forced to stay another night in the town. The following morning, Phil woke up, realizing it's Groundhog Day all over again, and was stuck in the time loop, spending his time doing the same things everyday. 

...Okay, so I guess that wasn't very brief, but you get the idea, right? Phil was stuck doing the same thing over and over again! Could you imagine that? He's been stuck in the same town, meeting the same people, experiencing the same occurrences, for over 10 years.

I'd go insane if that happened to me!

Phil devised a lot of attempted suicides just so that he doesn't see the light of day anymore. Much to his chagrin, all those attempts were futile and he couldn't do anything about it, and he would always end up back in his bed, the same morning, with no apparent bruises or scars from his useless efforts in sight.

And how annoying would it be if you're Phil and every morning you get to hear the same local news from the radio over and over again?

Yeah, I'd probably do this too.
"I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl. We ate lobsters, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters...THAT was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get THAT day over, and over, and over..."  

             - Phil (Groundhog Day, 1993)
Unfortunately for Phil, he was not blessed to have this kind of Groundhog Day (quote above), which I think is paradise for him. 

Putting that aside, I was inspired to create a post of Groundhog Day because a quote from the movie got me thinking:


"What would you do if you were stuck in one place and every day was exactly the same, and nothing that you did mattered?" 

- Phil (Groundhog Day, 1993) 
To add into that, let me ask you another question: What would be that moment?

It's a leading question, yes, but I'm assuming that all of us have some cherished memories we have in mind, those moments where you wouldn't want it to end, and to stay in those moment forever. It's something that is so close and significant to you, and in case you have that DeLorean from Back To The Future, you'd ride that vehicle and go back to that exact time, exact place, and relive that memory again. Do you have one?


Comment me your thoughts down below! I'd love to hear your own Groundhog Day!


To end this entry, here's Bill Murray mocking a groundhog:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, viewer! Your comments are highly encouraged here. Feel free to post your thoughts!

I would appreciate it too if you spread the word about my blog! Many thanks!

- A