Thursday, June 26, 2014

Doctor or Lawyer: Probably The Two Career Paths Parents Wants Us To Take


Are you one of those teens who have parents that will choose a career path for you? And the only option that you will have is to either enter in the field of medicine or law? They keep on persuading you non-stop to choose it, and it will drive you nuts, because some of us don’t actually want to study either of them? It’s like as if it’s the only remaining jobs out there, and you have no other choice but to take it.

When I was younger, a doctor is something I’ve always aspired to be. What can I say, my mom’s one, and I look up to her. I would play pretend and act like a doctor, diagnosing my stuff toys and all that. Growing up, I also hear that being a doctor (or a lawyer) is where you get the big bucks, and that means having a lot of moolahs in your bank account. Who wouldn’t like that, right? But entering high school, a place where you get to know yourself a little bit more, a place where there’s a lot of identity vs. role confusion going on, I tend to try out various things and explore different extra-curricular activities that might help me lean closer on something that I would want to do in the near future. 

And it turns out, I’m more of a right-brained dominant individual and would love to pursue something related to an artsy-fartsy kind of course. I figured that I’m more creative and expressive rather than logical and objective. With that, I felt like being a doctor was not the right fit for me. Fast forward to college applications, I asked helped from my parents in choosing a course that I could pursue (I have no idea why I did that. I mean, I had the liberty to choose by myself. Silly me). My parents chose for me a business-related course and a medicine-related course. They said I could either be a lawyer or a doctor. I had a mental eye-roll back then and eventually after the college exams, I ended up majoring in Psychology.

Psychology is a good course. You could go into any career path, and that’s what I like about it—it’s a flexible one. But then a part of me says that I should shift into Communications, since it’s all about media and photography and broadcasting and doing videos, something that I am very fond of. I kind of regret not shifting (not entirely, because Psychology I have learned to love it,) because to be honest, I’m having a hard time in Psychology. It’s a science course and I’m not a science person. My mom now keeps on bugging me to add extra courses so that I can go into medical school, and my dad wants me to take up Masters so that I can be a lawyer. I actually don't know where to stand right now.

I know this whole thing is partly my fault, that I didn’t have the guts to tell my parents that I don’t wish to be either. I know, investing a lot on your child’s education only to know that he or she will eventually emerge as a doctor or a lawyer is a wonderful thing, and it’s something to be proud of. I bet lots of “traditional” parents would love that. It’s like a return on investment, and a huge one at that. But it’s not also something to be proud of if you realized that your child did not enjoy what he or she has achieved. Some parents might have sent their son to medical school (because they know that it will somehow alleviate some stressors in life if their child becomes a doctor), but in reality, he might actually want to be a writer. Parents might shell out a lot of cash to bring their daughter to law school, (because lawyers are big money-earners right now), but she really dreams of becoming a movie director. 

Every child has dreams and goals in life, and sometimes, their parents’ dreams and goals interfere with theirs. Some parents push their children to be something the parents want them to be. I think that this is a wrong thing, and that parents should be there to properly guide their children, to teach them how to be independent. Parents should be the first people to support whatever their children’s decisions are (but if your child wants to be a princess or a drug dealer—then yes, these are some things to consider and needs to be addressed). There are some people out there who would let their children follow their parents' footsteps, but I believe that children should make a path of their own. It's where we truly discover what we love and what we know more. It's where we set up a new slate and start to dive in to our real passions. 

I think that living a life filled with passion is how life's supposed to be. Do the things that you love to do, that will make you genuinely happy. Relating this to what one aspires to be in the future, make a path for yourself, and not because your parents chose a path for you. Sometimes, you don't always have to listen to your parents, and to say yes to them all the time. Make smart decisions if you're going on a different pursuit, and prove to your parents what you're truly capable of.

Then your parents will truly be happy and proud of you because you didn't listen to them that one time.




2 comments:

  1. It's common that we come to a point in our life when we are left the question whether or not we should pursue the undergraduate degree we are currently majoring in. I wish you the best!

    Xoxo,
    Ysabel of Pleasantly Chic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ysabel! I love your blog, by the way. Animo!

      Delete

Hello, viewer! Your comments are highly encouraged here. Feel free to post your thoughts!

I would appreciate it too if you spread the word about my blog! Many thanks!

- A