Monday, January 5, 2015

2015: Let It Spark


Have you seen Manila’s NYE fireworks display? It was such a great sight. Fireworks blasted in almost every corner of the city, illuminating the 12AM sky with vibrant colors. I’ve been celebrating New Year’s Day here in Manila for the past twenty years (well, minus two since we held it one time in Singapore and California,) and Manila’s celebration of New Year’s Day is unlike any other. It’s loud, it’s messy, it’s dangerous, it’s…beautifully chaotic. It’s not even 12AM yet and I can already hear party horns being blown. By the time it struck 12AM, we came outside to join the party, and welcomed 2015 with a bang.

When we were outside, we have witnessed a glittering spectacle before our eyes. The sky was so colourful at night—different forms of fireworks burst out here and there, as light smoke filled our nostrils and powerful blasts rang our ears. My family and I also sparked our own fireworks and seeing it shoot up to the sky made me feel something…wow, a new year has just begun.

New Year doesn’t necessarily mean new beginnings. I mean, if 2014 was one of the best years of your life, why not continue it until 2015? But having a new year gives us a new opportunity, a new set of days for us to start working on something or changing something for the better. And that’s where New Year’s Resolutions come up. Time has given another chance to do something incredible in our life.

I have listed a few New Year’s Resolutions that I can hopefully stand for:

Sleep Before 12AM Or more gloriously, sleep at 10:30PM sharp. I have this bad habit of sleeping late; my earliest last year was 12AM, all thanks to my unhealthy addiction to the internet. Having little sleep is really bad for you—I would know, I sleep late and I tend to wake up cranky 90% of the time, so I think it’s best for me to change that. I also learned that sleeping has a number of health benefits so why not be healthy by sleeping it off?

Less is More: Declutter 101 Have you seen my room? You shouldn’t see it. It’ll blind you because of its mess, and it’s not even the attractive, Tumblr-ish, kind of mess. A little bit of clutter is nice, but mine is just downright terrible. I like keeping things for nostalgia’s sake, but I’d just end up being a massive hoarder. Not only is my room like an aftermath of a hurricane, it also doubles as a playground for unwanted critters. Ew, right? I’m a young adult, and one of the things that I should do is at least keep my own space neat, as it somehow reflects who you really are. Yep, my life is just as confusing as my room, but I’ll dive into that as well.

Simmer Down the Social Media If you want to meet someone who breathes the internet, that would be me. Holy crap, opening Facebook every 15 minutes and watching pointless YouTube videos are my thing, it’s like I haven’t seen the light of day for weeks now. It’s a horrible habit, and I want to trim down my social media obsession. As of now, I have deleted at least four social media apps that I don’t really need and I think that’s a good start. I will let blogging slide here though, because as much as it is link to social media, it's my real creative (and reflective) outlet.

Get Hooked on Books I used to be a voracious reader. I can finish reading a novel in one seating. Now, thanks (but no thanks,) to silly online articles, I have almost forgotten the world of literature. Now, I have to bring that thirst back. I have bought a lot books (aesthetically-wise, which is kind of stupid,) that are either left unread or untouched. I don’t have a huge amount of money to start travelling the whole world yet, but getting to experience almost the same thing through books will have to do for now.

Shy Kids Get No Sweets I am at war with my self-esteem, begging for it to stay on my team, although it just never goes that way. I always end up having a battle with it, even though we aren’t enemies in the first place. Being shy won't really get me anywhere, so with this, I just want to push myself this year to be more assertive and more positive in my outlook in life. I’m trying, but I’m just one anxious creature, and there’s nothing awesome about that. I want to take things one step at a time, gaining confidence and trust in my talents and abilities along the way. #BO$$

What I Can Give To Others A smile. A generous and open soul. A passion that I can share, hoping that it’ll make someone’s day. I have a theater friend who has her own theme every New Year (e.g. #Change2013, #Push2014) and that inspired me to do the same. I have decided mine to be #LetItSpark2015, in a sense that I want my actions to at least make a difference to myself or touch the lives of others, whether it’s big or small.  Even just a tiny flame, a flicker, a sparkle will do, as long as it's for the better.

2014 has been a surreal year for me. There were some highs and lows but I'm glad I've conquered it, and I guess now is the time for another year, another year to make memories, another year to make mistakes and learn from it, another year to meet new people, another year to discover something new. 

Another year to make it spark. #LetItSpark2015

Hello, readers. Do you have a theme for the year 2015? Share your thoughts. :)

"Everyone here is ready to go, it's been a hard year and I only know from down this low. It's only up we go, up we go."
— Up We Go, Lights








Photo Credit: The Graceful Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, viewer! Your comments are highly encouraged here. Feel free to post your thoughts!

I would appreciate it too if you spread the word about my blog! Many thanks!

- A